Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs


This is my first attempt at a food blog post, so please bear with me.  If you have any feedback or suggestions, feel free to leave them!  Things here are still in development.

Since making all of my diet changes, I have made an attempt to try out different kinds of meats. One kind of meat I could never really bring myself to like was chicken thighs or dark meat.  I have always liked chicken breast with no problems, but the other parts just seemed to have an off taste to me or they are too fatty.  A few months ago, I attempted to get over this by making oven-roasted garlic chicken thighs.  My husband liked them, but I was not a fan!

This recipe post then comes from my second attempt to like chicken thighs.  The difference this time is I purchased the organic/cage-free version.  Now, I'm pretty self-conscious about this shift in preference and identity from standard American diet to less processed, more conscientious and higher quality foods.  I used to scoff at pretentious labels like "organic" "cage-free" "free-range" "grass-fed" "eco-friendly" "non-GMO" as snobby douchebaggery (Portlandia "organic", anyone?).  In fact, I still do in some ways, as I grapple with my own upbringing and how this part of our status has an effect on how we are able to eat, but I suppose this may be another blog post in itself.  I thought I would give the organic a try because I recall reading in many Paleo blogs that it would be a good idea to buy fattier meat cuts in organic form because the animals store many of the hormones, chemicals, and stress in their fat stores (yum...) and it shows in the taste.  So here goes...



CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN THIGHS     
Printable Version

What You'll Need:

1 lb. Boneless Chicken Thighs
2 medium-size Limes
2 T. chopped Cilantro
1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
2 T. Coconut Oil or Butter

Directions:
1.  Rinse your chicken thighs, sprinkle some salt over them, and leave them in a bowl or dish.  Rinse, dry, and coarsely chop your cilantro.  The limes can simply be cut in half.  Squeeze the juice of three of these lime halves over your chicken.  Add your cilantro to the chicken, rubbing it in either by hand or using a fork.  Poking holes into the meat with your fork while you're doing this helps to get the flavor in even better.  Allow this to marinate for at least 15 minutes.



2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and turn your stove top burner to medium heat.  Using a dutch oven or cast iron skillet, heat your coconut oil or butter (I cheated and used a small amount of butter. I'm still testing exactly how dairy-intolerant I am) on the stove top.  Now saute your chicken thighs until they have some brown on them and flip them over, about five minutes for each side.  



3.  When they are done sauteing, use your last lime wedge to squeeze more juice over the chicken breasts.  Sprinkle the garlic powder over them and some leftover cilantro if you'd like.  You may also add more salt to them if desired.  Cover with the lid or foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes.  I'm sure this recipe could also be grilled.  Remove and enjoy amazingly juicy and delicious chicken thighs!  



I paired this with Native Harvest wild rice and homegrown baby arugula with honey and olive oil for dressing.  Nya:weh!



3 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe last night. I used fresh garlic -- 3 cloves, minced -- and incorporated it into the marinade. And on your recommendation I also tried the organic chicken thighs. Delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alyssa! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Good move with fresh garlic, I will try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete