Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lavender Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Lavender Honey Frosting


Since making these lifestyle changes and going gluten-free among many other things, I sometimes find myself craving cake.  Given my reaction to gluten products, "cheating" is out of the question as I am very physically intolerant.  My search for a good cake recipe started last September for my own birthday.  I found and experimented with many recipes, but was never fully content with the ones I had encountered.  Months later, I found the recipe for Very Vanilla Cupcakes {using Coconut Flour} from the Comfy Belly blog that features delicious and healthy recipes that work with Paleo, diabetes, food allergies, and other accommodations.  This recipe was the answer I was looking for.  To me, they were the closest I could come to the real deal!  While these cupcakes are not entirely sugar/carb free, they are a wonderful treat and worth the extra little bump of insulin.  Unlike gluten baked goods, these were nicer to my blood glucose levels without that dreaded surge and drop in blood sugars.

I have made these cupcakes many times and find that this is a good staple recipe to play around with.  This post is the result of a little experimentation.  Over many trials, I have discovered: (1) they turn out better with maple syrup than honey (honey gives a drier, denser texture)  (2) organic/cage-free eggs give them a fluffier texture  (3) coconut oil can be tricky to use (it turns from liquid to solid when cold) as it hardens when it is added to cold eggs/maple syrup and this messes with your cupcake texture; I prefer to use grapeseed oil  (4) they are difficult to "veganize" because of the moisture-ratio.  If you get the hang of the original recipe and keep in mind the moisture-sucking characteristics of coconut flour, you can make adjustments to spice it up.  Maybe for future posts, I will reveal how I adapted these into Lemon Poppy Rhubarb Muffins or the Starbucks Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cake Muffins...



LAVENDER VANILLA BEAN COCONUT FLOUR CUPCAKES 
(Adapted from ComfyBelly)
Printable Version


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 eggs
1/3 cup oil or unsalted melted butter (coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, or cooking oil)
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
seeds from one vanilla bean

1/2 teaspoon culinary-grade lavender buds


DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350°F.  Using two separate bowls, combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.  I like to sift the dry together with a sifter so they mix better.  Add the vanilla bean seeds and the lavender buds to the wet bowl.  Mash the lavender buds in really well to release the oils.  
2.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.  This can be done by hand or with a mixer.  Either way, make sure all clumps of flour are well-blended.


3.  Fill 8 cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way with batter.  Note: You must use liners for this recipe or they will stick to your cupcake pan.
4.  Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.  Cool and then frost.  Store covered for a few days at room temperature, or in the refrigerator for a few days.  Makes 8 cupcakes.



LAVENDER HONEY FROSTING

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
a pinch of culinary-grade lavender buds
4 tablespoons palm shortening

DIRECTIONS:
1.  In a small bowl, combine the honey, vanilla, and remaining lavender buds.  Again, mash the lavender buds into the mixture to release the fragrance/flavor.  Allow to sit for a little while.  
2.  Add the palm shortening to mixture and blend well by hand or by mixer.




3.  Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!  :-)




3 comments:

  1. I made these today, they are currently sitting on a cooling rack, and they look awesome. I can never help myself from adding extra vanilla extract to recipes, so I countered the extra liquid with a little bit of amaranth flour. Also, I soaked the lavender buds in the vanilla extract in a warm area for about an hour, hoping that the alcohol will help draw out the flavor more. Thanks so much for the recipe, I combed through the internet for at least an hour before finding this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete