Thursday, August 8, 2013

365 Days of Healthy Changes


As a young adult, I have encountered several health issues.  For years, I dealt with weight struggles that seemed to have no end.  In 2004, I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes (insulin-dependent) and hyperthyroidism.  I have also had a hard time with psoriasis and other issues.  My naturopathic doctor has nicknamed me "the autoimmune queen."  The challenges of these conditions accumulated over the years up until the point where I decided to make lasting changes.

On July 31st last year, I decided I no longer wanted to feel bad anymore and I would do everything in my power to change that.  With the help of a naturopathic doctor, I began a process of elimination in my diet.  I immediately removed all of the WHEAT/GLUTEN, DAIRY, ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, REFINED SUGARS, PEANUTS, WHITE POTATOES, HIGHLY REFINED GRAINS, HIGH GLYCEMIC FRUITS like oranges, grapes, and bananas, or DRIED SWEETENED FRUITS/FRUIT JUICES, and PROCESSED FOODS in general.  When possible, I would buy fruits and vegetables that were ORGANIC and NON-GMO.  When I could afford to, I would try to purchase meats and poultry that were ORGANIC, GRASSFED, FREE RANGE, or CAGE-FREE.  I also tried my best to be mindful about the origins of certain fish, usually looking for WILD-CAUGHT or FARMED, but being careful about contamination.  
I paid more attention to my meal times and the amount of starches with each meal as well as many other details.

Today, one year later, I am 65 lbs. lighter than I was.  My HbA1C (measure of blood sugar control over the past 3 months or so) has gone down from 8.9% in May 2012 to 6.6% in July 2013.  My other numbers have been coming down too.  I have been working on getting into more activity now and becoming more comfortable working out with diabetes.  I continue to learn about health, foods, the body, the mind, and knowledge of sustenance.  I am inspired by Indigenous food philosophies, the year long cycle of food, and Haudnosaunee spiritual practice and sustenance.  I love to cook and think of new meal ideas and inspirations.  Though the past several years have had their share of pain and ill health, I am very thankful I have found the path I am on.  I hope my story and blog brings you some hope, comfort, or happiness too.  Nya:weh.

5 comments:

  1. Laticia, I find you so inspiring and look up to you as a role model. I'm so happy for your health gains! Slowly my family and I are working our way there too. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laticia, thank you for sharing your story. It's so important to share our journeys whatever they may be. Continue to have good and steady success as you make these important changes to mind and body. :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so healthy and fit! I'm proud of you and I am so glad you are feeling better now! I love to see your food photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your support! I'm happy to have provided some inspiration and hope to continue to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you really are an inspiration, thank you for all the great recipes and pics. You look great - happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete